Refurbishing Existing Asbestos Roofs – What Options?
End user clients have 2 options when considering whether to refurbish their existing roofs as follows:-
- Over-Roof or over sheet the existing roof system.
- Strip off the existing roof system and re-sheet.
Over-Roofing Asbestos Roof Refurbishment.
Stripping off asbestos sheets is expensive and also renders the building non-operational in the areas which are being removed. Over-roofing or over-cladding can be the most economical method of refurbishing any building that has become unsightly or costly to repair and provides the opportunity to increase the insulation to improve U-Value and reduce carbon emissions.
The existing asbestos roofing / cladding system remains in-situ and an innovative steel support system is installed to support the new roofing / cladding system. This system creates a minimum void of 60mm where insulation can be installed to upgrade the efficiency of the roofing & cladding system. (if required)
Please note the innovative steel support system is fixed back to the structure NOT the roof sheet. All fixings are in the pan of the sheet NOT the crown, thereby ensuring good fixity back to the structure.
Key Benefits of MRC’s Over Roofing Asbestos Roofs:-
- No requirement to strip off the existing roof.
- No costly transportation or disposal costs of existing roof.
- Continue to use the building WHILE the over-roofing system is installed.
- Convert the roof to an energy efficient roof system by adding mineral fibre insulation REDUCING your operational costs and decreasing associated carbon emissions.
- Upgrades and improves the aesthetics of the existing building.